Does your Nevada County rental home need Carbon Monoxide detectors?

Do you ever wonder why property managers and landlords are so adamant about placing Carbon Monoxide detectors in Nevada County rental properties?  

Most likely, it is be because carbon monoxide is a poisonous, odorless, tasteless, and colorless gas.  

But what produces this deadly gas, you may ask?  According to American Apartment Owners Association, warming cars in garages is the number one culprit.  Their recent article titled, Landlord Quick Tip #246, goes into detail about how warming cars in garages can produce an overabundance of carbon monoxide.  “When cold engines first start, they run rich, which can fill a garage full of the deadly gases in just a few minutes, even with the garage door open.”  Continue reading the article HERE to find out how you can eliminate this deadly disaster in your Nevada County rental property.  

In Nevada County, we also have to be aware of other causes of carbon monoxide build-up in a rental home.  Any fossil fuel burning appliance can create carbon monoxide.  According to the California Association of Realtors, “The landlord or agent must maintain carbon monoxide detector devices in each dwelling unit if the rental unit has a fossil fuel burning heater or appliance, fireplace, or an attached garage on or before July 1, 2011 for a single-family unit and on or before Jan. 1, 2013 for all other existing dwelling units.”

If your Grass Valley rental home or Nevada City rental home falls into the above referenced categories of containing a carbon monoxide producing appliance, heater, fireplace or has an attached garage, please make sure you have a working carbon monoxide detector.  It could save a life!  You can purchase a carbon monoxide detector for as little as $18 at Home Depot: co2 detector for your nevada county rental home